Kenya Family Safari
IN A NUTSHELL
Arrival in Nairobi, Kenya. Meet, greet and transfer to Fairview Hotel.
Road transfer to Laikipia via Nanyuki and on arrival an afternoon safari.
Day 3 & 4:
Laikipia Wilderness Camp Park.
Two full days of game drives and family safari activities.
Short transfer to Mugie Ranch in the morning, afternoon safari at Ekorian.
Day 6 & 7:
Two days of game drives, relaxing and fishing at Ekorian.
Morning transfer to Lake Baringo with a sunset boat ride.
Day 9 - 11:
Three full days of water-based activities at Lake Baringo.
Return to Nairobi by road and transfer to airport.
Arrive in Nairobi where you will soon discover that Kenyans are the friendliest people in Africa.
Transfer to the Fairview Hotel in Nairobi’s city centre. The Fairview is a garden oasis with several restaurants. It is the perfect place to relax and unwind after your flight, with spacious gardens and a swimming pool to keep the family entertained
Flanking Mt Kenya and heading to Laikipia.
After breakfast drive north to Laikipia. This drive takes about five hours (flying is optional) and takes you past Kenya’s lush fruit plantations and farmland. Reach the town of Nanyuki at the foot of Mt Kenya where Barney’s restaurant is a great spot to stop. There is a playground and enough toys to keep the kids distracted whilst you enjoy some Kenyan coffee. Leaving Nanyuki, the road quickly turns to bush and you soon see zebras, giraffe, elephant and the occasional gerenuk (a long necked antelope from drier areas of Northern Kenya). Lunch awaits you on arrival at Laikipia Wilderness Camp. In the afternoon, enjoy your first family safari drive – a great opportunity to acquaint yourself with the land and its fascinating wildlife. Perhaps your game drive will reveal some of Laikipia’s weird and wonderful residents such as the striped hyaena, aardwolf, dik-diks and perhaps the local leopard.
Day 3 & 4:
Running wild at Laikipia Wilderness Camp
Over the next couple of days you will experience the warm hospitality of the small, family-run bush camp that is Laikipia Wilderness Camp. Your hosts Steve and Anabelle know just how to plan action-packed family activities throughout the day. They keep these interesting with a good dose of walking, rock climbing, tubing, swimming, rafting and getting mudcaked on the river banks. Bush walks and night drives can also be arranged and separate adult and child programmes can also be tailored on request, subject to staff availability. There are plenty of wonderful animals to see at Laikipia, such as the local pack of wild dogs, lions, spotted hyaenas, inquisitive genets, the stunning Grevy’s zebra, elephants, reticulated giraffe, dik-diks and gerenuk – to name but a few. Children can learn archery and how to make a bow, or how to build and light a fire without matches. They could even learn how to put together the best fishing rod before setting off fishing. The most popular choice of activity is a night of family fly-camping out under the stars, with dinner cooked over an open fire. Sounds, stories and smells all work together to forge an unforgettable African experience for children and adults alike! Being in a Kenyan conservancy (as apposed to a national park) means that you can alight from your vehicle (under supervision) to inspect, prod, and “gross” yourself out with anything interesting. Tracking and identifying footprints, interpreting animal behaviour, meeting new birds and mammals, and learning more about plants and their properties, are all great family safari activities. All meals and overnights in Laikipia.
A quick transfer to Ekorian
After breakfast, enjoy a leisurely two hour bush and game drive to the nearby Ekorian Camp on the neighbouring Mugie Ranch. This is another family-run camp and the owners also have two small children and so are well seasoned in the art of hosting families. Ekorian camp has a lovely lawn and pool surrounded by a stone wall to provide a safe environment for kids to play in. On arrival, you will enjoy lunch, a nice rest, and an afternoon game drive with reliable lion sightings. Lunch, dinner and overnight at Ekorian Camp.
Day 6 & 7:
Relaxing in amazing Ekorian.
Mugie’s conservancy boasts a high number of mammal species including elephant, buffalo, lion, cheetah, oryx, warthog, reticulated giraffe and leopard. The open landscape lends itself to clear sightings and excellent photography on game drives. Night drives are also an option. Mugie also has a huge dam, which is a magnet for elephants that you can kayak up close to. There is also great fishing for tilapia and catfish, and a visit to the local Pokot tribe in a nearby village adds a fascinating glimpse of a traditional tribe.
Reaching Lake Baringo
After an early breakfast, you will take a stunning three hour drive to Lake Baringo at the bottom of Kenya’s Rift Valley. The lake is beautiful and nothing beats clambering onto the boat to enjoy sundowners and a sunset fishing jaunt. Lunch, dinner and overnight at Samatian Island Lodge.
Day 9, 10 & 11:
Soaking up Lake Baringo
Samatian Island Lodge is a beautiful thatched lodge on a tiny private island on Lake Baringo. It sleeps 12 people and is home to a tame giant eagle owl. Lake Baringo has wonderful birdlife, great fishing, and a small conservancy for Rothschild’s giraffe. It is a stunning fresh water lake not far from Lake Bogoria, which is home to lesser and greater flamingos. Samatian is completely private and children can roam everywhere safely.
The Last Day...
After breakfast and a short boat trip to the mainland, you will head back to Nairobi past Lake Nakuru and Lake Naivasha. On arrival, you will be transferred to the airport for your flight back home.
MAP OF ROUTE
PRICE & SERVICES
The price here presented is for mid range accommodation provided for the duration of the safari described in this document.
The price options for budget and luxury accommodation are available on request.
Price per person sharing in a double/ twin room:
- 2 people travelling from from EUR 4.670,00
- 3 people travelling from from EUR 4.350,00
- 4 people travelling from from EUR 4.220,00
- 5 people travelling from from EUR 850,00
Prices for Children:
Children under the age of 5: Free
Children of the age of 5-11 in the room of their parents pay: 50%
Children of the age of 5-11 in their own room pay: 65%
Teenager of the age of 12-17 in the room of their parents pay: 75%
Teenager of the age of 12-17 in their own room pay: 90%
Features Included in Safari Price:
- Airport transfers
- Transport in a 4x4 vehicle
- Petrol & all costs which apply for the car & driver guide
- English speaking, driver guide
- All National Park entry fees
- Accommodation and meals as stated above
Features Excluded in Safari Price:
- All international flights
- Visa fees (please refer to your country of origin regarding applicable cost for visa)
- Travel and accident insurances
- Tips and expenses of private nature
- Optional activities
Our passion for Africa and efforts to furnish you with the very best Creative Destination Management are defined by the objective to provide exceptional quality, intensive and unforgettable experiences as well as pleasurable moments, that in every detail and attention to superior services are a dream come true and a feast for the senses.
Our passion, commitment and dedication to provide you with memorable adventures is as limitless as the magical vistas of the African continent ...
Your Across Africa Creative Destination Management Team
T's & C's
- This is a proposal only and subject to availability. If components of this itinerary are not available at the time of booking, we shall endeavour to offer suitable alternatives.
- Gorilla and Chimpanzee tracking permits are not included. Please note that
- Gorilla permits of US $ 600,00 per permit in Uganda and/ or US $ 750,00 per permit in Rwanda and US $ 150,00 for Chimpanzee permits in Kibale, Uganda need to be paid together with the deposit. The price for these permits is nonrefundable, however in case of cancellation, we shall endeavor to resell excess tickets through the available ofﬁcial channels.
- The appointed driver/ tour guide will accompany clients throughout the safari, assist them with check-in at accommodation and share his knowledge of ﬂora and fauna.
- A language speciﬁc tour guide is available against a surcharge.
- A 4 x 4 wheel drive vehicle such as a Land Cruiser is available against a surcharge.
Where applicable for charter or scheduled local ﬂights, the following baggage restrictions apply:
- 15 kgs on all ﬂights in small, soft-sided bags.
Abbreviations for the meal plan are as follows:
- BB = Bed & Breakfast.
- DBB = Dinner, Bed & Breakfast.
- FB = Full Board.
Terms and Conditions of our Services Payments Deposit:
- 25% of the total safari price within 7 days of conﬁrmation.
- Balance: full balance due 45 days (6 weeks) prior to arrival.
- Reservations: made within 45 days or less prior to arrival: Immediate full prepayment due.
- Cancellations: received within 30 days before safari date 20%
- 29 to 23 days before safari date 25%
- 22 to 15 days before safari date 40%
- 14 to 08 days before safari date 55%
- 07 to 03 days before safari date 65%
- 02 days before safari date 95%
- No Show 100 % Changes Without Prior Notice Tariffs quoted are valid for 2015 wherever possible.
Not all service providers release or guarantee their rates well in advance and therefore the itinerary price may be subject to changes without prior notice.
Factors that can not be anticipated and may inﬂuence this cost calculation include, but are not limited to, supplier increases (including gorilla permits and park/conservation fees), government tax increases, fuel price increases, unforeseeable itinerary amendments due to circumstances beyond our control, availability restrictions, etc.